Looking for those light recipes to kick off your healthy promises for 2017? Look no further than Tilapia – one of the white fish that’s always light and delicious!
You can beef up this dish a bit by adding potatoes or rice, but I had enough with the fish and veggies.
For the fish:
- Lay your fish on a plate and sprinkle a small amount of cayenne pepper and black pepper on top
- Put about 1 – 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil in a skillet and heat it on medium-high for about 30 seconds
- Add Tilapia – seasoned side down – to the skillet and cook on medium to medium high (6-7 out of 10) for 3 minutes. You’ll see the pinky color of the fish start to turn white.
- Turn the fish with a spatula – be careful, this is a delicate fish, so really get that spatula under the piece of fish to support it. But, the worst thing that will happen is you’ll have more, smaller pieces of fish, LOL.
- Cook for 2 – 3 minutes more on the second side – if you smell burning or see too much char around the edges, turn the heat off and move the skillet off the heat. Your finished product should look like this.
For the mushrooms:
- Put 1 – 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil in a skillet and warm it on medium high for about 30 seconds
- Slice about 10 mushrooms, or whatever amount you’d like to about 1/8″ thick
- Add the mushroom slices to the skillet and cook for 5 – 10 minutes, stirring a couple of times
- You should see the color and size change, and then you’re done:
For the relish:
- Anything fresh works well, but I used a small amount each:
- Jalapeno – maybe 1/4 of a jalapeno
- Sweet onion – about 1/8 of a medium-sized onion
- Sweet corn – about 1/8 cup
- Grape tomatoes – about 5, diced
- Clementine – 1/2 – 1 diced
- Lemon juice – about 2 tsp, add more or less to taste
- Dried dill weed – a very light sprinkle
Enjoy, and may all of your resolutions come true!