The perfect breakfast, lunch, or snack for low-carb loving meal planners!
I spent the weekend with my pal Kathy. I awoke Sunday morning to an air thick with the smell of sausage, and it was very, very good. Here’s what she was making…
Please note – Kathy’s version was prettier and a little yummier than mine. She used raw ground sausage, 2 small asparagus spears, and pepper jack cheese. I should have snapped a pic, but I was too busy scarfing down these bad boys!
- non-stick cooking spray
- raw ground or fully cooked sausage – a regular sized package works well, with some left over for sauces or another breakfast
- 12 eggs
- 12 lightly cooked (not mushy) broccoli florets, small enough to fit in a muffin cup OR 24 short-cut, lightly cooked spears of asparagus, with two to each egg cup
- a few dozen very thinly sliced pieces of pepper jack or sharp cheese – just get a brick from the store, slice it as thin as you possibly can, then refrigerate the rest in a resealable plastic bag
- ground pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
- Generously spray each cup of a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick spray
- Put a small amount of sausage in the bottom of each muffin cup, then add an egg and either one broccoli floret or two short asparagus spears to each cup
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes; pull out of the oven and sprinkle with pepper
- Top with sliced cheese – just enough to lightly cover the top of each egg
- Increase the oven temperature to 375 and bake for another 5-7 minutes
- Take out of oven and top with crush red pepper, if desired
- Run a butter knife around each egg cup, then gently lift out of the muffin pan