One of my favorite weeknight meals is a quick and easy mashup, and my favorite combo is turkey kielbasa, fresh/frozen veggies, and 90-second steamed rice. However, you can use whatever fresh or leftover ingredients you have in the fridge – your options are unlimited. The dish is simply a mix of meat, vegetables, and rice/pasta/potatoes. You pick!
I get about 3 meals from this recipe, so scale up or down as needed. Here’s my step-by-step summary of tonight’s meal:
- Heat a skillet on medium high (about 7 out of 10) for about 45-60 seconds.
- Pour 1 Tbsp of olive oil into the hot skillet and let that warm up for 30 seconds or so.
- While that heats, slice up one package of turkey kielbasa (I think it looks pretty sliced on the diagonal).
- Place the slices of turkey kielbasa in the skillet and let cook for 1-2 minutes, then check for a nice brown sear. If browned, flip each piece with a fork. If not, let cook for another 30 seconds or so, then check again.
- Flip kielbasa pieces when ready. Cook very briefly on the second side, as the pan is already hot and the second side will cook quickly.
- Once cooked, place the kielbasa in a bowl and set aside.
Veggies: Tonight, I had half a leftover orange pepper and half of both a sweet and red onion. I chopped each of these, and added some frozen peas, corn, and red peppers to my mashup as well. Here are the steps:
- Dice fresh veggies and put into the same skillet as used for the kielbasa (add a little more olive oil to the pan if it’s pretty dry) and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1/3 – 1/2 cup of each frozen veggie and let cook until warm.
- While cooking, chop up a few handfuls of kale, removing the thick stems.
- Add the kale, cover, and cook until the kale is bright green (this won’t take long – couple of minutes tops).
Rice: I love to use the 90-second steamable long grain and wild rice in a bag for this (Hey, don’t judge, it’s a weeknight, and I need to cut some corners!).
- Microwave rice according to package instructions.
- Add kielbasa and rice to skillet on top of veggies.
- Add a couple of swirls of sriracha and some fresh or dried herbs (finely chopped rosemary, thyme, and parsley are nice).
- Stir together and serve!
- Meats – rotisserie chicken, leftover steak or sausage, shrimp
- Starches – roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes, pasta
- And, of course, use whatever you like and eliminate what you don’t!